- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 4 cups peeled and cored pears, cut in eighths
- 1 cup huckleberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup flour
- 5–6 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ¼ teaspoon mace
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1–2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- Chopped nuts (optional, I like pecans and hazelnuts)
Preheat 12-inch Dutch oven to around 400°F. Mix pears, huckleberries, lemon rind, ½ cup sugar and lemon juice. Arrange in unbaked pie shell.
Combine flour, remaining ½ cup sugar, spices and nuts (optional). Cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly (or melt the butter and mix in with your hands until clumpy). Sprinkle over pears and huckleberries. Place pie pan into Dutch oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until fruit is soft and the topping is slightly browned. Serve with fresh whipped cream.