- 1/8 cup Spanish olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup, green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon pimentón El Angel sweet smoked paprika
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups Dacsa or Calasparra rice or other short grain Valenciana rice
- 16-20 strands saffron
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 cups mixture of Chorizo Pamplona and Chorizo Bilbao
- 1 pound shrimp, mussels and clams
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (for example, peas, string beans, fresh red pepper)
- ¼ cup Picuezo piquillo peppers
- lemon wedges, optional
Heat broth and saffron and keep at a low simmer. In a Paellera (Paella pan) for 8, heat oil and sauté onion until golden. Add chorizo and peppers and sauté until chorizo is heated through. Add garlic and smoked paprika, stir 1 minute. Add rice and mix until all grains are coated. Add wine and boil until almost dry.
Add about 6 cups of broth or enough to cover the rice, and bring to a simmer. Do not stir after this time. Allow it to simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until rice is about half cooked. Salt to taste. Nestle seafood into the rice and top with pimentos and vegetables. Allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes more, adding additional broth if rice becomes dry before the rice is cooked through. Simmer until all broth has evaporated.
Serve with lemon wedges, if using.
Read the story: What's Cooking?